Sunday, June 21, 2009

To all the Dad's in my life

I am grateful today for so many things, but especially for my sweet husband and for being together today as a family and not in the hospital!


Andy is such a great Dad and Husband... He does so much for our family, he is a hard worker who provides for our every need. He is such a great example to our kids, he is up early on Saturdays doing the yard work or fixing up something in the house and he never complains! Often times I am still in bed as he is up hard at work. He cleans, does laundry when needed and helps with the kids without being asked! His favorite things to do with the kids are to have movie nights and play video games, and they love it! Andy and the kids have also had a great time playing baseball in our new big backyard! They also love to wrestle with him, apparently I don't really do it right! I am thankful for Andy's example of service to our kids, he never complains about what he is asked to do and he is always there to help someone in need. I love you honey!

Andy with Zac shortly after surgery


I am thankful to my Dad for his example of working hard to provide for our family when I was growing up. He always worked two jobs and hardly ever slept so that he could provide for us. He always came to our sports events and other things we were involved in even if it meant less sleep for him. My Dad will do anything for you if you ask. A few weeks ago, he was at our house within minutes so that Andy could be at the ER with Zac and me. He ended up sleeping on our couch until we got home at 5:30 in the morning, he never once complained about it. Thank you Dad.

My Dad with us at the Grand Canyon last year

I am thankful to a wonderful Father-in-Law, Henry. I have truly never met someone so selfless in my life. He would give the shirt off his back if it meant making us happy. In fact I think he has given Andy a few of his shirts... Every time he has come to visit, he is hard at work. This last time he was here, he was up every morning (as early as 6 I think) working in our garage, buying shelves and workbenches to make our little garage functional for us. There was hardly a moment that he wasn't ready to get to work! He always wants to make us happy, every time we go to visit he always has a few plans up his sleeves about some fun family things we can do. He is also a great cook, we are always very well fed when we go visit whether it's from his cooking or going out to eat! Henry is always anxious to tell Andy and I to go to a movie and they'll watch the kids because they know how important that is for us. Henry is a great Father-in-law and a wonderful Grandfather, we are blessed to have him in our lives.

Grandpa Henry and Hayden when Hayden was 1 and on Hayden's 6th Birthday!

I have been blessed with 2 amazing Grandfathers. My mom's Dad, Bill was the most service oriented person I ever knew. He would do anything for anyone... There was never any doubt in my mind that he loved me. He called his grandkids "pal" and "sausage", every time we came over we were greeted with one of those two names. I fondly remember going downstairs and sitting on his lap in his recliner while he watched TV. I remember doing this even when I was in college! My Grandpa was so involved in our lives, he attended every event he possibly could for us. Another fond memory I have of my Grandpa was going to the mall and visiting the pet store with him, this was a favorite activity of ours. I remember my Grandpa loving the show Seinfeld, it was fun to see him cracking up at all the jokes, I think of him every time I watch it now. I think my Grandpa would have loved to be here with my kids and to get to know them.

With my Grandpa on my Sister's wedding day

My Dad's Dad, Grandpa Ernie was also a great man. As a police officer, he was known as officer Friendly in his later years before he retired. He never forgot a birthday or Christmas and he always had his camera with him. Grandpa had shoe boxes at his house labeled with each of his grandkids names. He would get all his pictures developed and arrange them in those boxes. I have precious memories of going to his house and sorting through those boxes. My best memories of Grandpa Ernie were dinners out with him. We didn't have much money growing up and it seemed the only times we went out to eat were when Grandpa took us. I grew up to think that's kind of what Grandpa's do. My Grandpa also gave each of us kids a 100 dollar bill every year before school started so that we could buy school clothes. That was huge for each of us. As I grew older and went off to college, Grandpa even sent care packages to me filled with cup o noodles, hot chocolate packets and other snack foods as well as money!

My Dad and Grandpa Ernie 11 years ago
We lost both of my Grandpas within 6 months of eachother in 2001 and 2002. I miss them both terribly and can't wait to be reunited with them again someday.

Happy Father's Day!

5 comments:

Maddy said...

Hey -- Luke and Zac have the same blanket!!

Happy father's Day to you guys!

Alison + Brandon said...

Aww, Grandpa Bill! I also have very fond memories of trips to the pet store...

Jana said...

Molly, it sounds like your husband is such a gem! So happy for you. Also I remember you dad well...A really good man.

I hope you and your family had a great fathers day!

Kaili Carlton-Canfield said...

Awww, this made me tear up - I miss my Gramps so much....

Meredith said...

This is so fantastic! Thanks for doing it - great memories of all the grandpa's...