Friday, June 19, 2009

Post Surgery Update

I wanted to update quickly, though I won't have pictures in this one, I think Andy left last night with the camera cord!

Zac's surgery went as well as could be expected. They were able to do the entire procedure laproscopically, yay!!! Because of this, his recovery should be way better than it would have been with traditional surgery. The surgery took about 3 hours, the surgeon gave us some awesome pictures to keep and explained all of them to us. After he left I looked at Andy and said, "Can you see anything he was talking about in those pictures???" We laughed as the pics pretty much look like bloody veins and organs!

When we went to recovery to see him, he was pretty miserable. Coming out of the anesthesia will do that! As soon as I was able to hold him he was more than content and sleeping peacefully. Unfortunately, we sat in recovery for 4 hours waiting for a bed to open up! Andy held Zac the majority of the time as he knew I would be up during the night with him.

Once we got to our room at 10:30 Zac was pretty awake and after being poked and touched he was quite mad. He was finally able to drink a bit of apple juice which helped but eventually morphine did the trick to help knock him out. We both slept from about midnight to 4 am, since then he has woken up quite a bit in pain, now he is on my lap sleeping.

Zac has 5 incisions, one at his belly button and two on each side of his abdomen. The incisions look great but he is in a lot of pain at the incisions and especially when he cries, poor little man. At this point they think we will not be released until Sunday. Zac will be on pureed foods for 6 weeks!!! This might be rough, not sure what we'll do at church when he would normally munch on cheerios and goldfish crackers!

I just need to add how much I adore Zac's surgeon. Oh my goodness, not that I ever want a child to have surgery again but I would come back to him any time. Watching other surgeons come to the waiting room and talk to family's I felt so grateful for ours, he has such a good bedside manner. And our anesthesiologist was awesome! I wish I had a picture of he and Zac, I got one with the nurse who was super cool as well, but that's it! I will post some post op pictures later today! Thanks for all the prayers!

14 comments:

jana said...

Molly,
I'm so glad that things went well! It's so awesome to hear that your surgeon and staff made the experience as much of a pleasant one as possible! I know how much that counts! Please keep us updated but, more importantly what we can DO for you and your family!! We LOVE you guys! Keep smiling! Can't wait to see just how HAPPY Zac can really be now!! :)

Ang said...

SO glad to hear things went well! Hope the recovery continues just as well. I'm sure Zac will be better than ever in no time at all!!!

Jana said...

Oh! Little man! I am so glad that the surgery went well. I feel so bad that he is in pain :( laporoscopic procedures can be very painful!! I hope he is feeling better very soon.

He will be a new little man once he is all healed :)

Danika said...

I'm so happy to hear (read) that things went as good as they possibly could. Good doctors make all the difference when you're going through something hard medically. Hope the 6 weeks of pureed food goes well. That sounds like it might be the hardest part of all of this...

Myers Mayhem said...

I'm so glad it went well! It'll be neat to see how much he changes for the better!

Cara and Terry said...

Oh, poor little baby!! What a trooper. I hope he feels better soon. Let us know how we can help :)

Lori said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. We're still praying for a speedy and relatively painless recovery for all of you!

Apryl May said...

I'm so glad it's over! Zac is such a trooper and has been through so much. He has such a sweet little spirit about him and now he'll be happy and healthy! I'm sure the 8 weeks will go by fast

Hesses Madhouse said...

Hey Molly! I was so glad to read on facebook that you had a blog. I just read about Zac and surgery this morning. Hope it's all going well with his recovery. So sorry you've had to go through so much.

Sounds like you're in great hands.

The Evans Family said...

I am so glad and relieved for you that everything went well. Good doctors to make a big difference, gives you much more comfort! We are still praying for little Zac and a quick recovery.

Stimpsons said...

Molly,

I've been wondering about Zac and his surgery. I didn't realize it was just yesterday. I'm so glad to know that everything went as well as it did. Here's to a speedy recovery for little Zac!
-Suzie Stimpson

Sarah said...

I'm so glad to hear that everything went well. That is so sad that his incisions are hurting him- hopefully that doesn't last too long and his recovery goes quickly. Poor little guy!

Jen B said...

Oh Molly! You're such an awesome mom! Zach will recover quickly and so will you and the rest of the family... I remember my lil brother having to have surgery and it's hard on everyone. We're praying for ya'll and can't wait for you to come camping with us!***

Maddy said...

I'm so glad everything went well and you loved his surgeon so much! I keep meaning to call but I igure you guys are trying to catch up on sleep. Give me a call when you get a chance! I'd love to hang out sometime in the next 2 weeks!

Also -- I need some Susie baby shopping!