Saturday, September 27, 2008

Canning Class!

Funny, we started attending our new ward just two weeks ago, the second Sunday we were at church, someone notified the Relief Society Presidency that I can food. I was asked that day to teach a midweek enrichment class on canning basics. I was a little reluctant simply because in our rental house I have a very minimal amount of "stuff", kitchen utensils, dishes, etc... But I was able to find my canner amongst our boxes and broke it out this week so that I would have some samples of things to show the class. Together, Meredith and I canned pinto beans on Monday and Tomatoes on Tuesday this week. I also canned some black beans, kidney beans, and ground beef, all of which are super easy! I felt pretty well prepared by Thursday night when I taught the class, I figured 8 people might show up and I was surprised to have 17 people attend. I shared my knowledge and basically told everyone that if I can do it, anyone can, if you know me, that couldn't be more true!
In addition to the beans, tomatoes, and ground beef I canned this week, I also taught about canning peaches, apple sauce, and chicken.

7 comments:

Clemstock said...

Dang girl. When Andy takes his sabbatical (hint hint:) ) and you come out here, you have to show me how to can. I stumbled my way through making pickles and some freezer jam, but I would love to know how to really do it instead of hit and miss.

Jen B said...

Molly! I completely blanked about this Thurs Night! I'm so bummed! Looks so good! Shucks!

Ang said...

Can I have a private canning class? I TOTALLY want to learn how to do it!!!

Molly said...

Misty- I would totally love to help you can when Andy has his sabbatical, now we have to convince him that we need to go to the East coast for his sabbatical.

Ang- I will totally teach you how to can, it is so easy and fun! Seriously, we can come up with a day in the near future and get you started on some good canned food!

Jennie said...

I would really like to get together and have you teach me how to can. You are so talented. I need a good refresher course.

Maddy said...

Looks good! Hope you guys are having fun with your pears. I've heard they are the hardest.

jacque said...

I would love for you to teach me how to can beans and meats! I've only done peaches and I'm doing pears tomorrow.