Saturday, July 10, 2010

Baby Mia Arrives!!!

After three days of hard work and on and off again contractions, we were finally admitted to the hospital on Saturday afternoon, July 10th. I was dilated to 3 cm when we arrived and after being admitted, had dilated to 4cm but wasn't progressing much beyond that. The doctor decided to break my water and get things moving along. Things didn't move along so well, so Pitocin was started around 7pm and...
5 hours in and not feeling too bad...

At least the glitter toes were still lookin pretty cute!

The epidural was started around 10 pm and labor continued... By about 12:15 I was able to feel horrible pressure like I needed to push. We tried upping the epidural to numb the feeling but it didn't work. Contractions were coming about every 2 minutes or less and with each contraction came the same horrible pressure. I clung tight to the arm of the bed, meanwhile squeezing my legs together so I wouldn't accidentally push the baby out! (Not that that would have actually happened but in my irrational state, that's all I could think of.) I knew I was getting super close and at 12:50 the nurse checked me and I was ready to go. For some reason it took another 20 minutes before they actually had me start pushing. 2 practice pushes with the nurse and my doctor was called in at 1:20. As he was getting suited up he had me push, only to tell me stop almost immediately because Mia was already halfway out, I think he barely caught her!

She came out screaming and ready to eat almost right away!

Before her bath and shortly after delivery

Sweet Mia Bella, right after being bathed

The kids came Sunday morning to see their new sister - they are all in love with her, even Zac could not stay away from her and wanted to hold her right away.

Mia Bella Ashton - July 11, 2010 - 1:24 am - 7 pounds, 10 ounces - 21 inches long



Dr. Layton - the best doctor ever! I seriously love him and am so grateful for the great care he has taken in delivering our last 3 babies.

13 comments:

The Evans Family said...

Congratulations Molly! She is beautiful and I love her name. Those big brothers and the big sister look so proud, how fun!

Alison + Brandon said...

What a gorgeous girl! (That applies to both you and your new little one!) Congratulations to you guys.

Conrad, Michelle, Bronwen, Ava and Cate said...

Congratulations!!!! I got tears in my eyes when I read your story. I am so happy for you guys! Mia Bella is beautiful. :-)

Melynda King said...

Congratulations Molly and Andy!!! She is gorgeous and I love her name!! You have such a beautiful family!

Katie Wells said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Mia is super adorable and I love her name. You have a very beautiful family!!

Kendra said...

What the heck you got out of the bed and sat for a picture with he kids this morning? ARE YOU CRAZY???? More of a woman than me! She is beautiful! You were seriously texting me last night with all that? Sorry to bug you but so glad she is here! You both look great!!

Ang said...

Yay! Welcome baby Mia (LOVE the name!)! She is beautiful! Congrats Ashton Family! Way to go Molly!

Lori said...

Love the pictures. The kids look so excited :-)

Meredith said...

She is so yummy! Can't wait to come and see her again today.

Myers Mayhem said...

Baby Mia is beautiful! All your kiddos look so cute together! Aren't you so glad it's over? and now you're done done done! Congrats!

Laurie and Mike said...

She is absolutly beautiful! What a great family!

jacque said...

Congrats! I've been wondering all weekend if you finally found a way to sneak into the hospital!! Glad she is here and healthy....and beautfiul besides! :)

Clemstock said...

Ah....Congrats guys! That is so wonderful. Seriously wonderful. This post brought tears to my eyes. Oh Molly, what a beautiful thing.