Wednesday, February 18, 2009

President's Day!

Monday morning began with another tooth being pulled and another note to the tooth fairy:


Meredith and I have been wanting to surprise the kids by taking them to play in the snow somewhere. Last week I had the great idea to do it on President's day. Our Saturdays have been way too busy so this seemed like the perfect time. Our husbands even got on board to do this as a big surprise for the kids. Thanks to some wonderful friends - Kendra- for having everything I would need to deck Brynley and Hayden out for the snow. Jen - for saving Andy's ears with your headband and for keeping my Zachar warm. And Susan- for the use of your sleds. You guys are awesome, and really pulled through for me at the last minute. I love great friends and feel very blessed to have many!
We woke the kids up and then gave them some clothes to put on and told them to keep their PJ's on underneath. They were confused and so I told them we were going to go play in the snow. Hayden got really confused - the gears were turning for sure as he explained that there is no snow in Arizona so we must be going to another country.
We left at 9:15 to meet Meredith at her house, only to have Zac vomit everywhere, just as we turned onto Meredith's street. Did I bring him a change of clothes? Of course not, he wouldn't be getting in the snow, all I had was the bunting he would be wearing later on. And so, Meredith saved us with some not so girly jeans and a white onsie. Meanwhile, Andy had to clean out the puke filled carseat, base, and car while the kids were dry heaving, nice.
Ready to play!
A bit later than we though, and we were off to Flagstaff - a 3 hour drive. The drive was great, we made it to the snow park. We figured it would be so crowded being the holiday but there was hardly anyone there! I think we spent an hour at our cars trying to eat a little lunch and get the kids all layered in their snow clothes. Brynley looked exactly like Randy from Christmas Story, it was so cute!

Before the real fun began!!!

The kids had fun playing on the snow bank in the parking lot. When we hiked to the real hill, I was nervous that they'd be too scared and chicken out. But nope, not our kids! Lindsay went right up the hill and came racing down. Andy went down once with Hayden and then he was on his own the rest of the time. Brynley had fun sledding periodically with Mommy or Daddy.
What a cutie!

And the babies sat pretty content for 3 hours on the sidelines.

Aah, sweet slumbering Zac...

I haven't had that much fun in a long time. It was seriously a blast. The moguls on the hill, did quite the number to my bladder, I "almost" peed my pants a few times. (Thanks Meredith for bringing extra underwear!) Some of those sleds were so fast, and you'd spin around and have no idea where you were going. I am really surprised that no one really got hurt. We had a couple of crashes and nose dives but for the most part, no injuries! Meredith made hot chocolate and cookies, yum! We have deiced to make this an annual tradition!

We topped off the day with dinner at Cracker Barrel before heading home.

Hayden woke up around midnight puking. So, I started the day with one kid puking, and ended it with another. At least Hayden didn't do it in the car...

12 comments:

Kathleen said...

you and your sister have SO much fun together! it makes me really miss my sister:(

it looks like SUCH a blast. your kids look so adorable in the snow, what a fun fun treat for them! i think babies confused in the snow might be the cutest thing in the world.

you have now officially seen more snow than i have this winter and i live in virginia. how does that work??

Toni said...

That looks like SO MUCH FUN! Good for you guys! Sorry for the puking...yuck!

Danika said...

What a great idea! We'll have to put that on our list of things to do.

Meredith said...

So glad you are close and we can do these kind of adventures together!

Jennie said...

What an awesome day!!! Looks like everyone had fun :) See ya soon. Jennie

Myers Mayhem said...

Darcy and I have been wanting to do this for forever! Looked like so much fun!

Maddy said...

Poor kiddos! Sorry about the throw up. Te snow looks like it was so much fun. Don't you love that we can visit it, but we don't have to live in it?

[M] said...

what a fabulous idea!

Sarah said...

My friends were in AZ and went to Paradise Bakery on Valentine's as well- they also said that it was the only restaurant not busy that night! It looks like you guys had such a fun Valentine's weekend. That's so fun that you got to take the kids up to the snow and go sledding. We really need to do that with our kids- they would love it!

tomwrx said...

So, I am a little jealous of your access to snow and warm weather. Here we are living in PA and have only 1 snow day that ended up being snow with crusted, thick ice on top. Oh, and the great thing, its still cold! What gives? I love the babies together and Cracker Barrel! My fav comfort food.

Marshall and Dana said...

Wow, I loved looking at your other blog! You totally need to help me out with my decorating along with the awesome pantry. The place that we stayed at in Rocky Point was Bella Sirena or something like that! It was on a beach called Sandy Beach. It is around all the other nice, new resorts and it is gated so a little more security. I went to a site called seasidemexico.com and just called told them what I wanted and where I wanted, checked out the pics that they have on the site and that was it. We split that 2 bdroom 2bath for $60 a night. Pretty cheap! They say that their only busy months are march and oct and so those months the prices go up. Way fun, I want to go back soon! I would love to hear about your conversation with the "neighbor" We are getting a security system put in tomorrow. I'm home most days all day so we should totally meet out at the park and let the kiddos play!

Marshall and Dana said...

Hey, email me your email address so that I can invite you to my blog. Mine is dsjag@hotmail.com