Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ladies... Eat your hearts out...

Never, ever, in my wildest dreams would I have thought at 18 that this would excite me the way it has. You decide how excited you would be:

Together, Andy and I ripped out our Powder Bathroom and built a food storage room! It only took about 6 trips between 4 different hardware stores to get it done. Sealing off the toilet hole seemed to be the hardest thing. It was imperative that it be sealed off correctly so as to not leak sewage gasses into the room. This type of project is not something people do very often apparently. Start to finish, we were done in 6 days. That was with a 2 day break between finishing the construction and painting. I am pretty proud of what we did, we make a very good team!
A funny story... You'll notice in the above pictures that Andy is using a shop vac to drain the toilet. I, along with Hayden, was standing behind the vacuum part when suddenly Hayden said poop water was coming out. Sure enough the vac was spraying our feet and legs and it stunk pretty bad too! Not sure what was up with that.
Painting in progress

The finished product, not perfectly organized yet, but it's a start. I didn't take a picture of it, but we put our freezer where the sink used to be.
This is my kitchen pantry which now has a lot more space than it did before. (Although I just realized this picture was taken during the reorganization so it doesn't actually have that much bare room but it is very organized now) I am so excited to have so much storage room. My master bedroom closet, no longer has to serve as my second pantry as it did in my old house! It's a good thing too because our current master closet is quite a bit smaller.

Don't worry... we have another bathroom just down the hall, this one was a little pointless.

So... Next time you need a bathroom turned into a storage room, we're now experts!

18 comments:

Meredith said...

It turned out sooooo fabulous!! I am a wee bit jealous...

Danika said...

I'm trying really hard not to covet your food storage room!

Sorry to read about Hayden's broken toe.

And if you want more lemons, I have a whole tree full I will be trying to get rid of in a few weeks...

Ang said...

I LOVE it! We've been putting our food storage in the master closet so I am definitely jealous - but SUPER happy it worked out so well!

Toni said...

Wow...I'm very impressed. Good job you guys!

Myers Mayhem said...

That's so cool! We'll definetley call you if we need a toilet corked, although wouldn't it be horrible to be plugging up someone elses toilet, and have THEIR poop spray you? bad enough having your own do that! :)

Kendra said...

This is the best! I am coming to see it! You guys rock!

Cindy said...

Molly--it looks so awesome. Our pantry shelves are starting to tip from all the weight, so I'll have to get your expertise! Good job!

The Evans Family said...

I am so impressed, and very jealous! Good job.

jeannie said...

This is absolutely fabulous, Molly! I have a closet downstairs that is basically a trash bin and you have inspired me to actually do something with it.
That is just tragic about Hayden's toe!
p.s. Meredith told me to come look at your closets if you are wondering why I am commenting, I am not being a blog stalker.

ecuakim said...

That's awesome! I'm so impressed!

Sarah said...

Wow- it turned out so great! How nice to have so much extra storage now.

That is so sad about Hayden's toe- I'm glad that it is doing better now. That's what you get for being honest!

We were pretty sad that AZ lost as well- at least it was a good game.

Anonymous said...

I totally get that two bathrooms so close seems pointless. I am so impressed by you guys! I have to say that is really sick that the vacuum was spraying your legs. The pantry looks great Molly!

Candi said...

Molly, Sounds like we have the same house!! I have a half bath under my stairs that I've been telling my husband since we moved in that we need to turn into storage. I'm seriously jealous!!
Candi

Rickie said...

I am always amazed by how much you are able to get done. Your kind of like superwoman. I can't wait to see this luxurious pantry on Friday!! That is such a great idea. I bet it is so nice.

Maddy said...

Yup -- I am definitely jealous!

Clemstock said...

Dang, that is some serious home improvement! I would take food storage over a bathroom any day. Speaking of which, it's bathroom cleaning week....uck.....

Kathleen said...

my entire apartment could fit into that room.

Marshall and Dana said...

Hey, I found your blog off of Kendra's! This is such a great idea! We have the same set up as you with the 2 baths down stairs so maybe we will copy:) I will have to come over and check it out some time. I would love a place to stick another fridge/freezer! Once again, great idea!! p.s. aren't you so excited about are new neighbor!?!? I hope he is gone soon!