Friday, May 1, 2009

Some scary lessons learned... Please Read!

Some things have happened over the last few days that have made me stop and think...

Lesson #1- Always Buckle Up
Many of you may have heard of the car accident here on Wednesday involving two mini vans, that killed a 6 year old Kindergartner (from my neices school). If you'd like to read more you can check out this link:
http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/stories/Chandler-local-news-042909-fatal-wreck-dobson.3c5979c.html

If you don't want to read the article, here is an excerpt:
There were no safety restraints in use by any of the occupants in the Honda minivan. DPS investigators have determined that if the occupants of the Honda minivan would have used safety restraints, it would have minimized or prevented the severity of injuries and prevented the fatal injury.

All the occupants in the Nissan minivan were properly wearing safety restraints. DPS investigators have determined the wearing of the safety restraints by all the occupants of the Nissan prevented injuries.

I have been teased a bit for being a "seatbelt/carseat Nazi" at times and after reading and hearing about this sad story, I am so grateful that I have taught my kids the proper way to use a seatbelt/carseat. Hayden will be in a ful back booster seat until he's 12 if at all possible (pretty sure that won't quite happen but maybe we can get close!) It's funny to hear Hayden getting frustrated with friends who ride in our car if they put the seatbelt on the wrong way (behind the back) because I have worked very hard to teach him the proper way to wear a seatbelt, that is something I am not willing to mess around with. My cousin was killed in a car accident at 15, my other cousin is recovering from serious brain injuries from the car accident he was in 3 months ago - cars are scary things. Please, please, keep your kids safe in the car. Mine are not perfect, just yesterday a motorcycle skid out infront of us as we were turning and I had to slam on the breaks and see if he was OK, etc. Not 1 minute later, I look in my rear view mirror and Brynley had taken off her seatbelt and was standing up! I immediately pulled over and got her back into her seat, imagine if that had been only a minute earlier, she would have flown through the car, scary!

Lesson #2 - Don't Open the Door for Strangers
The doorbell rang, Brynley went running for the door as I yelled at her, "Do not open the door!!!" This is our routine every time the bell rings, sometimes she doesn't listen and she opens the door to a neighbor, or Grandpa... you get the idea. Today she listened and went to the Living room window to look out. I (forgetting to look through the peep whole) open the door, no one was there, but behind my car was parked an older model run-down Saturn. An alarm went off in my head, I slammed the door and locked it immediately. Someone yelled and started forcefully trying to open the door and pounded on it, repeatedly. He must have been right by the side of my door. I run and lock the back door, baby in my arm, yelling at Bryn to get in the Family Room.

I pick up the phone and call 911. The operator is asking me everything I can describe about the man, I see him peeking his head through my front living room window, smiling at me very creepily. I'm totally freaking out trying to describe him to the operator yet keepign a good distance, I only got a look at his face. A few minutes go by and I look out the peep hole, he's not there, but the car still is... I immediately stare out my back windows to make sure he's not in the back yard. Meanwhile the operator is asking me about weapons in the house explaining to me that officers are on their way. I approach the front door at which time I hear the man repeating my house number to someone (on a phone possibly). I look out the peep hole, his car is still there. Within a few seconds I see the car pulling away, I step out on the porch and tell the operator he's driving away, she asks me for a plate number, the car stops, I freak and go back inside, door locked. Eventually he pulls away as I explain to the operator which direction he is driving, the plates were too far away to read. The car is gone. The operator tells me the officer should be here momentarily and hangs up the phone. I am shaken to say the least, and irritated that I couldn't see the plate number, he will probably not be caught.

The police took a full report. They checked the yard, it turns out the guy had gone around to our gate and side yard. Did I overreact? I don't think so, the second this guy tried to open my door and do so forcefully, I did the right thing. If it had been the pool guy, he would have said so. The landscaper, he would have said something. A workman for the house, would have said something. Someone from church, I probably would have received a call from someone apologizing later for the incident right? I hate to think the worst of people but the scenario just didn't add up. I second guessed myself on the phone with 911, but why would this guy stare at me through my window and then not try to tell me who he was? It was obvious that I was home, if he was here with good intentions, he would have explained himself instead of leaving, right?

Please, don't open the door for strangers and please make sure your kids are always buckled! These things have just hit too close to home for me.

P.S. If your husband or someone you know drives an older lavendarish/gray Saturn and he came to my house today, will you please just tell me so I can stop freaking out that he's coming back to hurt me???

24 comments:

Maddy said...

Oh my GOSH! That is so freaking scary. I am super freaked out now. I cannot imagine how horrible that must have been for you. I'm glad you guys are safe and sound and listened to the Spirit. Thanks for the reminder. Gosh -- I keep hearing freaky stories lately and we all know how paranoid I am. I think Dustin is going to kill me.

[M] said...

OH MY GOODNESS. You are brave. I can't believe that happened in this area. I hate answering the door when J-P isn't home. That totally freaks me out. I am so glad you guys are ok.

[M] said...

p.s. i just read this to J-P and he said to tell you that he is usually home during the day and if this ever happens again to call and he will come straight over with a bat:)

Alison said...

What a story!! And you so did not over-react!

Rickie said...

Wow molly, that is so scary. It sounded like you stayed calm and did just what you were supposed to do. Thanks for the reminders, we all need them once in a while. I am sure he will not be back.

Jennie said...

Very Scary...I am not a good door locker, but I do believe you have inspired me! I am very grateful that you weren't harmed and you are alright.

Sarah said...

Oh my word- that is so scary. I'm glad that you followed your instinct and locked all of your doors. I wish that the police would have caught him, though.

WHY would you ever drive without your and all of your kids' seat belts on. Seriously crazy. That is sad for that family.

Meredith said...

I always lock the front door as soon as I close it - close/lock is practically one motion for me. When you called me with your voice shaking waiting for the police to come, it was so scary. You did the right thing.

Toni said...

Ok, I'm totally freaked out at your story!! I'm going to share that story with my kids as a reminder as to why we DO NOT open the door to strangers!!! I'm glad you are safe and you totally did the right thing by calling 911. I would have called 911 and then showed the dude my GUN!

And about the seatbelts, I'm a seatbelt Nazi as well. Anyone who doesn't use seatbelts...especially for their children....is just LAZY and IGNORANT. I'm married to a fireman, for crying out loud, and I have heard first hand details of car accidents with people who did not use seatbelts. It's so not a big deal to take the .03 seconds it takes to put your seatbelt on! I mean really, who wouldn't want to be as safe as possible when riding in a car?

Carol F. said...

SCARY!!!!!! That is just creepy and of course noone that you know would do that to you. You did the right thing. I cannot believe how brazen that guy was. I am so sorry that happened to you. And then I called your house and talked your ear off. Sorry.

Ang said...

Molly! Oh my gosh!!! i am so glad you are all ok. What a scary situation. Sounds like you reacted perfectly though. Way to think quickly. Be extra careful the next few weeks. If he saw something he wanted to steal through the windows he could be back. (i just had a friend who had their car radio stolen and then the next day the guy came back and stole the car...)

And you are totally right - seat belts are something NEVER to compromise on. I'd rather be the seat belt nazi than lose one of my children because they aren't using theirs properly.

Myers Mayhem said...

That story gives me the chills! I'm glad everything turned out ok!

Danika said...

So scary - I'm glad you're okay and I think you did the correct thing. Better to be safe than sorry, right?

Don't feel bad - I'm a seatbelt/carseat Nazi too! I won't even drive across the neighborhood without them buckled up properly...

And I'm also a door-locking Nazi. Comes from growing up in Southern California! We have a top latch on the front door that the kids can't reach so they can't ever open the door. We also have a top latch on our back sliding glass door. If you want more info or want to see photos, let me know. Worth the $10 at Lowe's and a few minutes to install for the peace of mind! No only do I never have to worry about them opening the door to strangers, but they will also never get out by accident!

Steve and Sarah said...

OH MY GOSH. I battle everyday with the door thing. I am so sorry and scared for you . You must feel so violated. Good job reacting. I hope I can do as good as you did if am ever faced with something like that. I am glad you are ok and Brynley listened to you!!! Thanks for sharing your story.

Kathy C said...

Oh. My. Gosh!!! How scary! I am so glad you are okay! I can't believe that happened! If it was the pool guy or anyone else that was supposed to be there, they would have knocked, not tried to open the door. You definitely did the right thing. Even though I am a habitual door-locker, I still had the same struggles with my kiddos always opening the door. Even those extra latches and locks way at the top didn't work. We finally resorted to buying our steel security doors for the front and back. They are the kind that you have to lock (and unlock) with a key. I LOVE them. They are a bit of a pain sometimes, but totally worth it for the sense of security they provide. (Knowing that my youngest two aren't going to be found running down the street when I am in the shower is absolutely priceless...)

Kathy C said...

I just clicked on the link and realized that we saw that accident! We were stuck on the freeway, headed east (on the opposite side) because of all the backed up traffic. We finally passed by the accident just as the helicopter was landing. We saw them working on some kids and also saw someone covered up with a blanket on the road. I had prayed it wasn't a child... How sad. Thank you for the reminders. We can never be too careful with our little ones.

Marshall and Dana said...

WOW!! Now you have me freaked out! The new neighbor and now this guy! We have a top door latch also so my kids can't open the door. We didn't really get it for the purpose of intruders but because every time I got in the shower my kids would take off down to Kendra's house. Now I'm glad we have it!! That is so scary. I'm going to go get locks for my back fence and a latch for my back door. Also get some beware of dog signs!
I am also a seat belt Nazi!!! That poor little boy! So sad!

Shauna said...

That the scariest thing I have heard in a long time - especially when it happens to someone I know personally. Thank goodness you were quick to react by shutting the door instead of stepping out the porch. The Lord was definitely looking over you and your family. Quick thinking to call the police too. At least they have a report now. I am so glad that you are safe.

D said...

I am there with you on the carseat thing...can you talk to my sister in law so she can finally understand why I went berserk when she put my daughter on her lap in the front seat (when she was an infant no less) and let her friend drive them to the other end of the neighborhood (in the snow!!) and she wondered why I immediately removed Parker from her care...duh!

Ok on to the intruder situation...OMGOSH! I am so glad you guys are OK...I am definitely going to sit down with Parker and have a talk with her about strangers. My heart was racing just reading your story....you reacted just right! Good for you! I would have been pee-my-pants scared! I am glad everyone is safe :)

Jana said...

ok the above post was me, Jana, but I was signed in as my husband...in case you were wondering who D was :)

ecuakim said...

Wow. Ditto to all the comments here. I cannot believe that happened to you. The Scovilles told us about it last night. Holy Cow. Jose said that maybe someone accidentally sent a package to your house, thinking it was an empty house, you know like drugs or something. Did you have any Return to Sender items within eyeshot of this guy? I guess that has happened before.

Daniece said...

Thanks for your real-life reminders of things we ALL KNOW but sometimes DON'T DO. So glad you are all okay!

hendywow said...

HOLY MOLY MOLLY! I am gald that you listened to your promptings! My moto it is better to be safe than sorry! or embarrassed rather than dead!
You already know my stance on Car safety! Life can be taken so easily with a car! Amen!

Clemstock said...

I read this, got chills and sat there in stunned, then had Tom read this and we both agreed, that was a freaky situation and good for you for listening to your gut after seeing that car. I am totally freaked out....I am so grateful you are all okay!