Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Mother's Intuition...

We took Zac in for an Upper GI yesterday due to all of his Gastro issues. He vomits all the time and has severe constipation issues. After MONTHS of persistence, his pediatrician finally listened to me when I basically demanded that she have an Upper GI done.

Andy and Zac waiting at the Hospital Registration, he was pretty happy considering he had been fasting!

Andy got to wear the super cool Dalmatian apron while I got the football one, weird.

Zac was pretty easy-going throughout the process. He had to drink a bottle of barium so that it would show the contrast on the X-ray. Unfortunately, he didn't get to drink much of it and was getting pretty annoyed throughout the test. He still pulled through like a champ though!

The nurse looked at the x-ray machine with a look of shock. I looked at the screen and what I saw appeared to be two stomachs. I immediately asked, does Zac have a hernia? The radiologist said yep. Is it a Hiatal Hernia I asked. He replied that he wasn't sure, it could be another type as well. I asked if it would correct itself, to which he replied that we would need to meet with a surgeon, as it was quite a larger hernia. The nurse (Rose, who was AMAZING) said that in 40 years of doing this, she has never seen anything like this in a child.

Rose then let Zac choose between 3 stuffed animals for being such a good patient!

My Ped called later in the day.... The Diagnosis: A Hiatal Hernia

Duh... I have been telling her this since November. I just knew that he did not have reflux - we dealt with that with Hayden and I knew this was different. I had briefly heard of a hiatal hernia when we were trying to diagnose Hayden as a baby which is why I thought this might be what Zac has. We are switching pediatricians... She couldn't even give me a good surgeon referral! I am so frustrated that I didn't push more. This is the cause for Zac's poor weight gain, vomiting, constipation, weird gurgling noises in his chest, inability to consume more than 4 ounces at a time, etc...


I wish I would have taken a picture of the x-ray screen, not sure if they would have let me, but it was incredible to look at. The picture above is a drawing of what his hernia looks like. The bottom part is the stomach, the tube coming down is the esophagus, and protruding out the top on the right is the hernia. Basically, a portion of his stomach is protruding through a tear in the diaphragm and up into his chest cavity. Zac's looked to be about the size of his stomach, this is very large for one of these. Basically, anything that goes into his esophagus goes straight to the hernia and then passes, or doesn't pass, to the stomach. Zac had an episode last week which landed us in urgent care because he was vomiting constantly without holding a thing down. We have now learned that the hernia was possibly extra inflamed at that time and nothing was emptying into the stomach. Poor little man...


We have an appointment with a surgeon at Phoenix children's Hospital for May 15th, hopefully we will have more answers and explanations at that point.

Moral of the story: A mother's intuition is always right!

How it will be fixed: Without having talked to the surgeon yet, my basic understanding is that they will take the herniated portion of the stomach and push it back through the hole. They will then repair the hole as well as reattaching the esophagus to the stomach more securely.

19 comments:

Danika said...

So sorry you guys have all had to suffer for a year. But I'm glad it's on it's way to being fixed! A mother's intuition is always right! I think it's one of our special gifts that we're blessed with as mothers...

You should DEFINITELY be changing pediatricians! I have a fantastic one that I have loved for 6 1/2 years. He's at Higley/60. Email me if you want his info.

jeannie said...

Molly,
I am so sorry that your little guy has been through so much! I am glad to know you were persistent with your doctor. I have some really great tales when it come to doctors and my health! I hope you will get this resolved very quickly! You're in my prayers.

Alison + Brandon said...

Poor baby! I'm so glad you were finally able to get someone to diagnose the problem. Zac is quite the trooper. Best wishes for a speedy fix and recovery...

Ang said...

WOW!!! I am SO glad you FINALLY have a diagnosis!!! And way to go Molly for pushing so hard. I would be SO mad at my pediatrician if he/she just let it go for so long without a true diagnosis. LAME. You rock. Zac will be in our prayers for sure. Recovering from hernia surgery isn't fun (from what I've heard from Kristen and Dave...)

Alison said...

What a cutie!! But what a bummer!!! I'm so sorry.

Shame on the doctor for not listening to the mother! I would write a letter to the doctor requesting his/her explanation for not testing and/or checking for the hernia sooner. I'm sure you won't get an answer...

Hang in there!!

Meredith said...

I am soooo glad you got it all worked out. It is a good thing those tests don't take too long - Kate was in the same contraption for her kidney testing. She hated it. You got better pictures! ;) Now you just wait - Zac will be a fatty before you know it.

jacque said...

I am so glad you were persistent. I am a true believer of a mother's intuition.

Myers Mayhem said...

Poor Zac! and poor you. I'm so glad you have a diagnosis though. Now you can take action and get it fixed, what a relief!

hendywow said...

Good for you Molly for stickin to your Mommy GUNS! Poor little guy, at least now it will be better!
Love ya..

...April* said...

UHM....holy CRAP!! That is insane Molly. I'm sooo proud of you for being persistant with the Doctor and I think it's smart you're changing. Poor little Zaky has been such a trooper. I love and miss you!
(p.s. it's final)
48 hours after filing the paperwork...I was shocked.

The Evans Family said...

What a champ little Zac is, and what a good mom you are! I'm sorry you have to deal with this, but what a relief to know what it is and that it can be fixed. I am mad at that doctor for you, though!

ecuakim said...

Holy Crap! Pardon my French. I cannot believe it! Way to go Mama Bear! My pediatrician is also at Higley/60 so I wonder if he is the same as Danika's, but we love him. Tons of experience.

tomwrx said...

Molly, I feel the need to clarify. That picture actually looks much more like a para-esophageal hernia, which has a different prognosis all together. I'm sure Zac has a hiatal hernia since that is what they told you, but just thought I'd mention that. A hiatal hernia is also called a sliding hernia because the stomach will slide up and down, through the hole in the diaphragm. From what I've seen, if they aren't bugging the kids much, most will go away, but if they are causing symptoms, then they go in and tighten the diaphragmatic ligaments that surround the opening for the esophagus so it can't slide up and down anymore. Oh yeah, and speaking from the inside, not all docs are created or trained for that matter.....equally. And whatever you do, never let an adult surgeon take a scalpel to one of you kids. Children are not small adults. Pediatric surgeons are normally very talented because it is one of the hardest training programs to get into. So with that, have fun.

Molly said...

Hey Tom, thanks for commenting, it's always good to have a professionals opinion. Zac's is a paraesophageal hiatal hernia, it is not a sliding hernia according to the radiologists report that I picked up today. He terms it as a severe paraesophageal hiatal hernia coupled with reflux of the upper esophagus and possibly a diverticulum in the protruding part of the stomach. Anyway, that picture is almost exactly what the X-ray screen looked like. So anyway, we have had many referrals for a particular pediatric surgeon at Phoenix Children's, we are meeting with him next week. Thanks for the comments!

Rickie said...

Molly, I am so glad you too him in. I was so worried about him after he threw up so many times that one day at playgroup. You knew something was wrong & i'm glad you were persistent. Now they will be able to help him. What a little champ he is, though. After all he's been through, he's still such a happy little guy.

Steve and Sarah said...

Poor little guy. I am glad you finally have an answer. Let me know if I can do anything.

Jen B said...

Ah man... ditto all the concern. And we'll be praying for ya'll.

Kelly said...

HI Molly - I do check your blog and appreciate your dedication to blogging frequently! Thanks for commenting on mine. That's amazing about Zac - so glad you were on top of things and listened to your intuition. I question mine sometimes and tend to trust doctors a little too much.

Sarah said...

I am so glad that they finally figured out what is wrong, but I'm sorry that it wasn't better news. Hopefully everything goes well with the surgeon and you'll get a better idea of what to expect. Poor little guy. I hope you can get this taken care of soon so that he will be much more comfortable. Way to go listening to your intuition!