Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Training Wheels are off!

I would be willing to bet that most 5 1/2 year olds have been without their training wheels for awhile... Hayden however, has been pretty scared and gets mad at us any time we mention it. To his defense, I will say that for the 7 months prior to moving into this house (when we were in our rental) we didn't do much (none, actually) playing outside in the front yard. Last week I think Hayden realized that if he wanted to keep up with the big kids in the neighborhood, he needed to be done with the training wheels. And that was it, he came up to me at 5:30 one night and asked if he could try riding without his training wheels. I said sure, so we bent them up in case he wanted them back on later. After getting fully decked out in his elbow and knee pads and his helmet, I grabbed on to the back of his bike (thinking I would have to run behind him) and he told me to let go, so I did. Off he went... Never looking back... He didn't even need me to run behind him!

Concentrating... Notice the pads!!!

Rounding the cul de sac for the first time

A few days later, Hayden realized that the knee and elbow pads were not so cool. He is supposed to have his helmet on, not sure how that slipped by me!

Hayden and Brynley riding around together in our cul de sac. I love it! There is nothing better than playing outside in this gorgeous weather! Sadly... it will only last a few more weeks before it is too stinkin hot to play outside!
I can't believe I almost forgot the funniest part of the story... The night after he learned to ride with no training wheels, we had the missionaries over for dinner. At one point during the meal, Hayden got up and walked around the kitchen to get to me. He whispered in my ear, "Maybe we should tell the missionaries that I can ride without training wheels." I say OK, elders, Hayden would like to tell you something. Hayden goes on to tell them about riding his bike and sits down. Two minutes later Hayden gets up and walks around the kitchen again to get get to me. He whispers again, "Maybe they would like to see me ride without my training wheels." So I ask them if they would like to watch him before they leave. They said of course. Hayden sat patiently at the dinner table until it was time to leave, at which point he ran out to his bike and showed off a little for the missionaries!

2 comments:

Steve and Sarah said...

I am glad my boys are not the only ones who were 5 before riding a bike! My daughter was 7!

Meghan, Carson and the Kiddos said...

Way to go Hayden!