Monday, October 13, 2008

Need your opinions...

This is another picture of the house as of today. If you're the type to get annoyed with this sort of thing, just ignore these posts, I am mostly doing it for my own record keeping. But I do have a serious question that I need opinions on, I have been going back and forth about something I want to do in the house and I am having a hard time convincing Andy of it...
Here it is: Our house has 3 1/2 bathrooms, more than we really need quite honestly. There is a full bath downstairs plus a powder bath under the stairs. The powder bath kind of makes an L shape if that makes sense. The powder bath is very close to the kitchen (this is important) and the full bath is just about 10 feet down the hall. In our last house we had a small freezer in our laundry room which we won't do in this house because the laundry room is upstairs. We planned on putting the freezer in the garage, however, we still only have a 2 car garage so space could be tight, plus we'd have to have an outlet put in after the fact. So my brilliant plan is to turn the powder bath into a room for my freezer, food storage, and canning equipment. I am big into buying food ahead when it is on sale and so we always have a large stockpile of food, plus I have really gotten into canning. In our last house, we had a huge master closet and turned a large portion of it into an extra food storage area, not going to happen in our new closet.

We would cap off the toilet as well as the sink and keep those stored away so that we could easily turn it back into a bathroom anytime and then use all that space for what I have mentioned. So, am I stupid for thinking of doing this? Be honest, totally honest, I won't hold it against you, I promise!

Shelly's house in progress:

19 comments:

Meredith said...

You know my opinion...Brilliant! 3 1/2 baths is really 4 bathrooms to clean! Food storage is hard to do in AZ because we can't keep bulk in the garage due to heat so we need to be creative inside. I can only imagine how convenient it would be to have that right by your kitchen. I say do it. I totally would.

Your old home (and mine now) only had two bathrooms and it was fine for guests. You are still going to have one more than that.

Melynda King said...

Great idea! I have 3 bathrooms, and I can't imagine having to clean another one! You can never ever have to much storage, especially inside where you can keep food storage and all of your canning things. I would do it!

Hannah said...

Hi, I found your blog when I was googling food storage and yours came up since you mention it in your post.

That's a GREAT idea! I am SO jealous! It's my dream to someday have a whole room just for food storage.

Anyway, if you ever need any food storage tips or recipes, feel free to check out our blog!

Good luck!
Hannah @
http://safelygatheredin.blogspot.com/

Toni said...

I think that it's a great idea. I would totally do that!

The Evans Family said...

It makes sense to me! I wouldn't want to clean 3 1/2 baths...yuck! Good luck.

Meghan, Carson and the Kiddos said...

I say go for it. I wouldn't want to clean a 4th bathroom. And if you really need it down to the line to be a bathroom, you've left that option open so you really have the best of both worlds.

Sarah said...

I think it's a great idea! Especially living in AZ where you can't store your food storage in the garage. I say do it!

The Ashtons said...

How funny...I was going to write that one less bathroom to clean is enough of a reason right there. I guess that's not a unique thought! I wish my freezer was in the house. Mine's in the garage and while it's really not that far away, it's just a pain to put shoes on and go out in to the freezing cold, or burning hot (depending on the time of year) garage to get what I need.

Clemstock said...

I say goodbye to the bathroom and hello to the extra food storage. And, I agree with Meredith, extra bathrooms equals more cleaning. I am wishing we only had 1 full bathroom and 1 powder room. I dread, beyond dread, cleaning my bathrooms (serious, you should see me on the day of cleaning, I will do anything else than clean those bathrooms)!!!

Shauna said...

I say go for the food storage room! Especially if you cap all the existing plumbing and still have the option later to make it into a bathroom. Plus, it costs you a lot more money to have your freezer in the garage because it has to work extra hard to keep the food frozen. Can't wait to see the house when it's finished!

...April* said...

Lots of progress! It's looking good! We so need to talk. I wanna get your opinion of if we should start having kids. I know that's heavy but yeah. You have my number still, right? Call me when you can talk. 801-473-8283

Laurel said...

I think it is brilliant!!! Especially since you already have a bathroom pretty close downstairs. My food storage is under our stairs and it works well. And you know that the plumbing is there should you ever want to turn it into a bath. There is nothing wrong with this plan. Way to go Molly!!

Jennie said...

Do you have a bedroom downstairs that guest would need to shower in? If you don't have a bedroom then by all means create a storage room. If you have the bedroom then I would use the closet and a corner in the bedroom for your freezer...

Danika said...

I don't mind if you read my blog. I've read yours occasionally too! :) Congrats on the new house. And I love your idea of turning the 1/2 bath into a storage room! Have fun at Disneyland next week!

Cara and Terry said...

I totally say turn it into the freezer room!

Molly said...

Thank you everyone for your opinions! I think you have all helped convince Andy that it is a brilliant idea!

Jennie - I have a whole other bathroom downstairs for guests, and yes I have a bedroom down there too.

Yay, I can't wait for my food storage room!!!

Kathleen said...

my food storage is like 10 cans of spaghettios and bottled water so i pretty much suck at life. some people have ambitions like having a whole food storage room but i dream of a day when it is acceptable to eat cold spaghettios for every meal. does that make me weird? the meatballs are delicious.

Maddy said...

I know I'm late to comment -- but it sounds like a great idea to me.

sara said...

Hi Molly - I'm Meredith's friend & I think I met you once years ago... anyway I agree with your assessment; freezers have to work too hard in the hot garage and burn out. I have a freezer under my stairs (which is also right by my kitchen) and also keep extra pantry food in there...

Congrats on the new house :)