Monday, August 16, 2010

A Little Perspective

One Week ago today, Andy and Hayden were having a Father/Son Date at Sunsplash. Hayden was beyond excited and enjoyed a super fun day with his Dad.

One Week ago today, Brynley, Mia and I had a fun girl's date planned. First we took Zac to a friend's house and then we went to get pedicures, lunch and a haircut.

One Week ago today, we put Zac down for a nap, Brynley was watching a movie while I went in the other room to sew as Mia napped in her carseat.

One Week ago today, our sweet babysitter Jagen asked if she could come and hold Mia while she slept and so she did.

One Week ago today, Mia began to shake, her lips pursed, no air was going in or out, she looked at me with panic in her eyes and I couldn't help her. Liquid began to stream from her nose and saliva started oozing from her lips. I was terrified, screamed, begged the 911 operator to help her; that she was not breathing. I held her as she turned her head, went blue, and went limp in my arms.

One Week ago today, for a few minutes I imagined my life without one of my children in it. As I looked at poor Mia's lifeless body, I pleaded with my Heavenly Father to save her. I begged him, telling him that 4 weeks was not enough time for me to have her here and I prayed for more time.

One Week ago today, Mia took a shallow breath and I sobbed. She was alive. I thanked my Father in Heaven for saving her, for entrusting me with her a little bit longer. I did not know how I would go on if she has been taken from me. That is something I hope to never experience.

One Week ago today, I experienced the most terrifying event of my entire life. Our 4 week old baby Mia was rushed to the hospital after an apparent seizure and going 3 minutes without breathing.

One Week ago today, I spent my first night at the hospital with Mia. And here we sit today... still in the hospital for 5 more days but knowing that she is going to be okay and knowing that the seizure was apparently caused by a bacterial infection in her blood stream. An infection that began with no other symptoms, an infection that was detected 24 hours after entering the hospital when Mia spiked a fever and when her blood results came back.

Today I realize that had it not been for that life threatening event which brought us to the hospital, the infection may have gone untreated too long and Mia would have suffered severe long term effects. I am thankful for divine intervention that caused the events to occur the way they did that day. That brought Mia where she needed to be for the help that she needed to receive. She will be ok.

I am grateful for that day. For the fun that Hayden and Andy got to have and for the special day that Brynley and I shared with Mia. And for a Father in Heaven who answered my prayer, one week ago today.

9 comments:

Meghan, Carson and the Kiddos said...

Wow! Totally made me cry thinking of what you had to go through. Never would have thought that you could be grateful for something like a seizure. I'm so glad that she is getting better and that the doctors are doing all they can to keep healthy!

Danika said...

Between watching the miracles happen with Annie, Mia, and Brandon's baptism, I have been humbled and prayed and fasted more in the past week than I have in a long time!

Laurel said...

That was beautiful Molly. Very well written. I am grateful for your miracle and so happy that this story has a happy ending.

Toni said...

Beautifully written Molly! Such a scary experience, but I'm so glad you see the blessings in there too. You and your family will continue to be in our prayers!!

Meredith said...

Thank you Molly - I cannot believe I was there as it started to get better and I wish more than anything I could have been there 5 minutes earlier but I don't know what I could have done. SO glad things are looking way way up!

Rickie said...

I am so grateful she is doing so much better. Amazing what all can transpire in 7 days. I'm so grateful for the modern medicine that is getting her better. I loved your post. You are a good mommy.

The Evans Family said...

Wow Molly, that was beautiful. I am so glad that Mia is doing better and that Heavenly Father does answer prayers. Something like that does give you a new perspective. Hang in there, I'm thinking about you!

Melynda King said...

Wow! I read this with tears in my eyes. How scary, I can't even imagine what you were going through. I am so glad that Mia is going to be ok, and that your prayers were answered 1 week ago. I don't know how anyone is able to live without prayer, and the love and comfort that come from our Heavenly Father.

Clemstock said...

Hey Mols, that was a great post! I can't imagine the feelings you were having.