Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Why I have had a hard time blogging lately...

This poor little guy has had all of my attention...

Zac is not well... It all began Saturday as we were together with family and friends and noticed Zac was not his normal happy self. By night time he was running an extremely high fever and by Sunday morning (after being up a lot of the night) he had two pimples near his mouth. By the time I returned from church, he had 7 or 8 "pimples". By night he couldn't sleep and they looked more like blisters. We figured they were fever blisters, maybe cold sores but not likely. By Monday he had over 20 on his face and I noticed they were in his lips and on his tongue.

A trip to the doctor and he was diagnosed with the herpes virus. Essentially any child can get this from a simple cold. Andy had cold sores a lot as a child so we blame him for Zac's predisposition to them. I was told to continue Tylenol and ibuprofen to control the pain and try to keep him hydrated.
Two days later and I feel as though we have been and are still going through a nightmare. Zac's face has close to 40 blisters and the inside of his mouth has at least that many. In talking to the doctor again we were thinking chicken pox but now we are back to the herpes. Zac has not slept for more than an hour at a time in the last three days. He has not eaten anything and he has gotten to a point where he cannot drink either. Just trying to get the medicine in him has been a nightmare as his mouth is killing him.
Almost getting a smile out of him

I sat tonight, holding him as he cried hysterically. I began to cry - probably from lack of sleep and lack of knowing how to help him. It is a helpless feeling when your child is in so much pain and there is nothing you can do to take it away. We have tried every home remedy there is to give him a little comfort and nothing is working. I can honestly say I have never experienced anything so hard with any of my kids in my life... Sure Hayden cried for the first 10 months of his life and had horrible reflux, sure we thought Brynley had spina bifida, and yeah Zac puked every day of his life and had abdominal surgery... but nothing compares to this. The only thing I could do was walk and cry right along with him. The screaming of course aggravates his sores in his mouth and he can't suck on his pacifier because it hurts so badly.

This too shall pass... eventually, when, I don't know. Soon I hope, not sure how much more I (or Zac more importantly) can take!
On a side note, Andy has been fighting to pass 4 kidney stones for the last three days. Really? Did it have to happen right now? I can't give him any of the attention he deserves because it is all focused on Zac. Andy is a trouper though, he's been helping with Zac when it's been too hard for me even with the immense pain he is in.

So hopefully I can get back to blogging soon, for now I am off to bed! On second though, I just heard Zac wake up screaming... back to the grindstone.

14 comments:

Danika said...

I assume the doctor has taken a sample and had it lab-tested? It looks similar to what Tyler had as a baby (in his diaper area), which turned out to be a staph infection. He took antibiotics and was fine in a few days.

I am so sorry you guys are having a hard time. I hope everyone gets better soon.

Rickie said...

Molly, Yikes, what can I do to help you? I feel so bad. Is there any antiviral medication they can give him to help decrease the outbreak?

The Evans Family said...

I am just sick for both of you. You've been through a lot lately. Keep being the good mom that you are, and of course it will pass soon!

Sarah said...

I am so sorry. The poor kid has been through enough and now he has to go through this. And sadly whatever effects our kids effects us just as much. I hope he is feeling better soon and that you both are able to get some sleep.

Kathleen said...

oh my word, that sounds so sad and miserable. poor little guy. so there isn't a prescription or antibiotic? and poor andy, what a nightmare. you are in our thoughts and prayers. i will say, he is the one kid that can make herpes look cute!

Jennie said...

So very sorry. I wish that I could help in some way. If you need anything just ask. We love you.

Ang said...

Oh molly! I'm SO SORRY you are going through all of that! Poor Zac. Poor YOU!!! I hope it starts healing soon so you can all get the rest you need to recover.

Maddy said...

:(

That's all I can say.

Jana said...

Hang in there, I hope both your men feel better soon!

Conrad, Michelle, Bronwen, Ava and Cate said...

Hey beauty -I'm giving you a huge hug right now. This will all be over soon, and I bet you will look back and be amazed at how strong you are. You are going an awesome job, and are a great mom. Love and hugs, Michelle

karen said...

oh my goodness that breaks my heart. Marc (my husb) said it looks more like a staph infection to him as well and hopefully they'll culture the sores to figure out exactly what it is. I'd insist upon it and not take no for an answer, or go get a second opinion. I'm big on second opinions.

nothing worse than sitting by watching a child in pain, especially when even sleep is no respite. I'm so sorry! hopefully they are going away!?

hendywow said...

Wow Girl! I am so sorry , I am crying with you, and you and the boys will be in my prayers.
Love ya

Jaime said...

Molly, I am SO sorry! I know the feeling of helplessness with your children...nothing breaks your heart more. Your right, this too shall pass...I think when it rains it pours! I really wish you were closer so I could help! Move back!

[M] said...

I know this is coming a week late (we've been on vacay), but can't they give you the baby version of tylenol with codeine? When Ian had HFM disease the only way I could get him to stop screaming/eat/sleep was with the baby codeine. Saved both of our lives. Hopefully he is feeling better by now. If you need anything please call! I could bring you dinner or something...