Thursday, August 13, 2009

Redecorating the kid's rooms!

I finally hit a point of being so annoyed that my kids rooms were still sitting with white walls after 6 months of living in this house. I set a goal for myself, by the end of August I would finally have all of their rooms done! I'm pretty proud of myself for all that I've gotten accomplished in the last week, it has been no easy feat that's for sure. Working around nap times and little hands trying to get into the paint has proven challenging to say the least!
Zac's room is finished with the painting part, I just need to get things hung in his room! I love the way the stripes turned out, and even with our textured walls, the stripes are perfect, no leakage! I have thought about refinishing the bed to go with the rest of the room but that is at the bottom of the priority list.

Another angle of the room

The last angle of his room

I love this canvas (I still need to rehang it) we found it in my Grandpa's house after he had passed away. He signed the bottom with the date (12-31-84). When talking to my Dad about it years ago he thinks my Grandpa was drawing it for my cousin Jordy, but then after my Grandma died he never finished it. I especially love the Zamboni included as a major vehicle (we were all ice skaters so it makes sense!) Zac's bedding has vehicles on it and so it fits perfectly! At one point when I had it up in Hayden's room I had thought of painting the vehicles to "finish" it but I decided I love the simplicity and that it is all Grandpa Ernie. Something my kids can have from the Great Grandpa they never knew.

Brynley's room is obviously not done because we are doing white Bead Board on the bottom 4 feet of the wall. That will be done this Saturday, I can't wait because I am so excited about the raspberry color we ended up choosing, I think it will pop next to the bead board!

A sneak peak at Hayden's room. 2 of the walls are this color (it's not quite this dark in real life) and the final decision on the other color is still pending... stay tuned...

14 comments:

Alison said...

i love the canvas from your grandpa! That is sooo cool!

All the rooms like awesome!

Danika said...

Looking great! I love the stripes. I've always wanted to be brave enough to try painting them.

And congrats on getting it done with little helpers. We've been here 14 months and I haven't done a thing to the kids' rooms (or the rest of the rooms, for that matter). But at least they're a nice brown instead of stark white. I would probably be more motivated if they were white....

Can't wait to see the beadboard. I am contemplating doing it in Natalie's room next year when we give her a "big girl" room. Is it hard?

Myers Mayhem said...

I'm sooooooo jealous ! Their rooms look fabulous! I want to copy them soooo bad! LOVE it! I'll be over in 1.5 hours to look at them in real life!

Steve and Sarah said...

Call me if you need help. I love painting.

jeannie said...

Zac's room is just adorable, Molly! I would never be brave enough to attempt stripes. You did a fabulous job. I love it. What a treasure for you to hang the canvas your Grandpa did!
Also, they look so cute their first days of school!

Meredith said...

It all looks amazing! I am so unmotivated. I want to do so much yet can't bring myself to do any of it.

The Evans Family said...

I love the stripes! I am afraid to do that, I just know my stripes would bleed. The color in Brynley's room looks great. We have some rooms that really need to be painted, but that's the other thing I hate--picking out colors. You did great!

Alison + Brandon said...

The stripes look awesome! Great job.

Shauna said...

Your mad painting skills are awesome!! Love the stripes! I really like the raspberry color too. I'm thinking of redoing the girls room but I really, really don't want to repaint.

Sarah said...

I'm excited to see it all done! It looks great so far- especially the stripes in Zac's room. Very impressive.

karen said...

dang you hit homers with those colors. love the stripes. love the raspberry--very bold and unique. love that canvas. love that you did it all yourself?!? sheesh, Martha.

Rickie said...

You are seriously so talented, Molly. So can I hire you to choose my paint colors?? Way to go.

Jill Wright said...

So awesome! It's all adorable. I really want to do some beadboard in my kids' rooms, but have no idea how. Want to help me when you're done with yours? :)

jana said...

LOVE it ALL!!! I've got to come see it all!!