Monday, July 28, 2008

The digestive tract of a 3-month old...


You may look at this sweet, innocent face and think, "what could be wrong with his digestive tract?" Well, let me tell you, he may be sweet and innocent but he can sure puke! Grandma even got to experience the ricochet of his vomit as it splashed off of me and all over her! Zac has reflux, thankfully however, it does not cause him much pain as it did for Hayden. Zac will be very content and then suddenly he is projectile vomiting! I spend most days with spit up stains all over my shirt, pants, shoes, you name it. Well, I wanted to post a picture of what he did to my couch yesterday. More of the couch would be covered if not for the fact that I was sitting there and was drenched as well, he even managed to spit over the couch and get a huge spot on the floor. Seriously, you can see the outline of the side of my body and the puddle on the cushion that landed between my legs!

Now if the vomiting wasn't enough, Zac goes a long time between his bowel movements. Last week, after 11 days, he was getting really cranky to the point of being in pain. Many may not realize that a breastfed baby can go up to 20 days without a bowel movement as long as the baby is acting normal. I knew when Zac got cranky that this was not normal and so we took him to the doctor, an X-ray would show a huge blockage which we would need to begin to treat with Dark Karo syrup. I was very proud when Zac had a bowel movement on his own that evening, before trying the Karo syrup, I think the doctor's poking and prodding may have loosened things up a bit. Needless to say, it was a pretty big one for such a little guy! It has now been 4 days since that episode and he has yet to poop again, hopefully he will soon!

Those of you reading this who do not yet have kids, there will be a time when you too will be excited about poop!

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Zac sounds exactly like Max. He is on Zantac for his reflux and projectile vomits all the time. It doesn't cause him a lot of pain which is nice, but the spit-up everywhere can get a little old. He also poop[s about once a week. He exploded all over everything last Wednesday and hasn't pooped since. Again, it doesn't seem to be causing him too much pain so I guess he's fine. It is kind of sad how excited we can get over poop! Now Nathan pooping in his underwear everyday is not as exciting...

The Evans Family said...

Oh my goodness, What fun! Emma did the whole projectile vomit thing all over my couch ONCE and I thought that was enough! =-)

Alison said...

The picture of your couch is too funny! Oh man... what joys! I see plastic couch covers and rain slickers in your future.

Ang said...

OH MY GOODNESS. I had the projectile experience maybe 2x with Jack. Sorry you are going through it again! Cover everything with plastic :)

Alison + Brandon said...

Molly, this is kind of the grossest post ever, just so you know. Just when I was getting a little baby-hungry after seeing all you guys with your cute kids... :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! Mike just forwarded me the website for your blog...it's so great! I can't believe how big Hayden and Brynly are...and how small Andy is! Congratulations!! As for pooping and vomiting...ewwww! My youngest is now almost 11 and I no longer get excited about pooping or vomiting. This too shall pass. haha.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, I can spell my last name...just watch: Kathy ASHTON. Nice.

Molly said...

Alison - I thought you would appreciate this gross post. I hope it doesn't scare you too badly!

Kathy- thanks for looking at our blog, do you guys have one?

Sarah - Sorry about Nathan's poop! I wish I could get Brynley a little excited about the potty!

Laurie and Mike said...

Hey Molly! I have loved looking at your blog. The kids are so cute and little Zac is amazing! If you've read Kristin's blog lately, she has had it with poop and would probably like a few days of no poop! I guess it depends on what perspective you are coming from.

Meredith said...

Ugh...

Carol F. said...

Molly, I am sorry. I didn't realize you were going through all this stuff with Zac! Sounds like he is doing quite a bit better now. That is awesome that you captured a picture of the vomit. Smart.