Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Bird Whisperer

We have a wreath on our front door - aka the door that is now off limits - due to the discovery inside of the wreath.

Look really close, do you see anything?

How about now? Do you see the nest?

Here is a closer look at our bird's nest, filled with 5 eggs... That's right 5! It must be a record or something.

The mama bird - who sits patiently on this branch any time someone comes to the front door and she has to flea the scene. Andy is quite the softy - I might have just moved the nest so as to not have to deal with the whole thing, but not Andy! Now, when these little birds are born - he gets to clean the bird poop off my front door!

We discovered the nest 2 or 3 weeks ago - now fast forward to last Saturday...

Andy was out taking care of the pool when he noticed this by the ladder of the slide:
Incase, you can't tell, it's a broken egg. Then he looks up at the ladder and sees a dove sitting on a rung, with an egg resting under her. Andy must have spooked her because she quickly flew away, knocking the egg off the ladder. But the Bird Whisperer came to the rescue and caught the egg mid-fall! He looked around to see that there was no sign of any kind of nest. So what do you think he did???

You guessed it... He came inside asking me for something to build a nest out of for a bird!

Can you see the mama bird in her new home?

A close-up shot of the bird in her "nest"

Notice the masking tape holding the nest to the ladder...

And the egg sits nice and cozy in it's nest!

Andy was afraid the bird might abandon the egg since he had touched it but nope - that bird seems to enjoy her man-made nest!

20 feet away, it looks like the papa bird met an untimely demise and crashed into the door! I guess Andy can't save 'em all!

12 comments:

hendywow said...

That has got to be the best story I have heard in a very long time! It's got everything! Suspence, love, sorrow, a hero and an almost happy ending! I laughed out loud when I read "he can't save them all!" I love you Molly, and Andy, I always knew you had the Heart of a Hero!

Laurie and Mike said...

Molly, don't you know you can't use Windex on your windows!! I just laughed reading this post. How did that poor little bird lay
5 ginormous eggs. Ouch! The dove was so cute. Good job Andy! :o)

Toni said...

Oh. My. Gosh. Poor Papa Bird. Andy, you ARE a big softie!!!! Way to take care of nature. Keep us posted on all of the eggs! How fun.

Andy said...

Stupid Papa Bird...I can't do everything for them!

Meredith said...

This is the best! Molly told me about it today on the phone and it was quite the story. I was wondering if you were going to have anything about the owl that hangs out at your house too!

christine said...

Aww! Bittersweet post. This was a great one to read though. Really touching. Thanks Molly. Hope you are doing well. Hope we get a follow up report! :)

Maddy said...

Aww, Andy is such a softy. I can't believe you have little eggs sitting on your front door though. How cool and scary all at the same time.

Conrad, Michelle, Bronwen, Ava and Cate said...

OMG, I laughed at the end of your story (but I did feel sorry for the papa bird). It started off so beautiful, then your "untimely demise" quote was plugged in haha. :-) I'm glad the birdies are now safe and sound in their homes. ;-)

Myers Mayhem said...

So funny and so sad at the same time!!! I love the man-made nest!
mother-The bird popped out 5 eggs just like you popped out 5 babies! OUCH!

Sarah said...

Definitely not your everyday post! Way to go, Andy- I had no idea he had this side of him! I'm with you, I probably would have just moved the nest and not dealt with it. I'm sure the kids are loving watching the eggs and waiting for them to hatch. How long does that take? Sad for the bird at the end, but kind of funny as well!!!

Kathleen said...

this is a riot. it reminds me of that office episode with the bird. did you have a funeral?

Alison + Brandon said...

I love this! Except for the sad ending...

When we lived in Iowa, we had birds build nests in our hanging flower pots a few times. It was the cutest when the baby birds would hatch and you could hear them chirping in the nest.